Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Betwixt

BETWIXT  16 x 16 3/4 inches  oil on masonite

*click on any image to view full screen



Betwixt... between.

The greatest challenge as an artist, for me, is simply revealing myself.  Blame it on my Finish heritage. Some claim we cling to a bottle rather than open up.  No, I can't say that I cling to a bottle,
 I guess one could say it is replaced with a brush. 

As time goes by I find it increasingly difficult.  Perhaps it comes out in form of a picture.

Today is a difficult day.  When I hit a rough patch I try remember simple words of inspiration.... usually ones I was taught as a child.  Things like 'with only a grain as small as the mustard seed'...

When I began painting 'Betwixt' I was in a mood set of not looking forward to the cool Minnesota winter.... Again, I remember words that my mom always said, ..' It's a good thing there is only one winter in between two summers.


This morning I went to my studio to work on my new painting ... but this picture kept hounding me.  Well, maybe not exactly the painting.. but the whole picture.

One of my friends, who is also a mother of 7 young children, the oldest is in 9th grade, has been at the U of M since early September battling Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.   The family lives in our town which is about 4 hours from the U.    It crushes my heart when I think of it all...  Simple words I so want her to be able to tell all her children, words they will remember down the road.  I feel so helpless, all I can do is pray.   She is for certain- Betwixt.   Life will get better and it does, with only a grain.

'Betwixt' will be on auction for 10 days with all proceeds donated to her family.  (link to auction)


1 comment:

myra anderson said...

lovely paintings - so sorry to hear about your friend!